Voter ID – How to apply, Eligibility, Documents required
A Voter ID, also known as EPIC (Electors Photo Identity Card) is a photo identity card issued by the Election Commission of India to all Indian citizens eligible to vote. The purpose of voter ID is to serve as an identity proof for voters, increase efficiency and prevent impersonation and fraud during free and fair democratic elections. This card is also commonly known as an election card, voter’s card, or Voter ID card.
Structure of Voter ID
A voter ID card is an accepted form of personal identification in India as it is issued by a government body. The voter ID consists of the following details:
- A unique Serial number
- Photograph of the cardholder
- A hologram containing respective state/national symbol
- Name of card holder
- father’s Name of card holder
- Card holder’s
- Card holder’s date of Birth
The card holder’s residential address and signature of the issuing authority (Electoral registration officer) are on the rear side of the voter ID card.
How to Apply for a Voter ID Card?
A citizen of India can apply for a voter ID in three ways; online, offline or through semi-online methods:
|Applicant must begin by visiting the national voter’s service portal (NSVP) website||Applicant must begin by visiting the national voter’s service portal (NSVP) website||Applicant must visit the nearest State Election office and request for Form 6.|
|Click relevant option to register of new voter id||Download ‘form 6’ and fill the form with relevant details.||Fill ‘form 6’ with necessary details and provide all supporting documents such as Identity proof, address proof etc. The applicant may submit the completed form to the respective election office.|
|The online ‘form 6’ will open and applicants fill in all the details form 6 and submit formAdditionally, applicant must upload a photo and supporting documents with reference to Voter ID Status.|
|Submit the completed form 6 along with a photo and supporting documents at an Election Office near you by either post or in person.||On verification of form, Voter ID will be issued.|
Voter ID is only issued after necessary verification of all documents and details provided by the applicant.
Documents Required For Voter ID Card:
Applying for a Voters ID requires you to submit the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
Voter ID Card Eligibility:
In order to be eligible for a Voter ID card, individuals must meet the following criteria:
Points to note before applying for a Voter ID
Voter ID is an important document required for an Indian citizen as it enables him/her to exercise a fundamental duty of voting in democratic elections. Voter ID also serves as a proof of identity and address.
Here are the following things to keep a note of:
- Applicants must be of a minimum legal age of 18 years
- They should be of sound mind, free of criminal charges and not financially bankrupt
- They should fill out the relevant documents such as Form 6 and ensure that they provide relevant original documents
- Applicants must solely apply for Voter ID only through government or government approved websites and centres
- Applicants must ensure details such as spelling of their name, date of birth, address and so on are correct
- Applicants must also ensure that all information that is provided is legally correct in all aspects
- On successfully receiving the Voter ID, applicants must re-verify their documents and Voter ID to see if the information is correct.
How to Verify Voter ID?
Applicants can verify their Voter ID if they suspect their ID to be a counterfeit by using their Voter ID number. The applicant will have to visit the official website of the Chief Electoral Officer of their state or the nearest state election office. In doing so they must search and check if their name is present in the electoral roll, following which they can cross verify the details. If there are any discrepancies the applicant must bring it to the notice of the Chief Electoral Officer.
Steps to verify Voter ID:
- Visit National Voters Services Portal (NVSP)
- Select “Search name in the electoral roll”
- Enter your details and verify
Voter ID Card Correction in Electoral roll
Cardholders who want to make necessary changes/corrections of their details in their voter ID can do so by physically visiting the nearest election office or visiting the online national voters’ service portal and follow the below steps:
If your details are wrong not to worry, fill out “Form 8” indicating the corrections to be made in your voter ID and submit the form along with relevant supporting documents to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) or online on the portal. Once you have submitted, the ERO will process your application and make the necessary changes in your voter ID.
Uses of Voter ID
The Voter ID card is used to furnish important details such as:
- The card serves as a proof of identity and address
- Voter ID Card is an acknowledgement that the cardholder is a registered voter
- Voter ID has several personal identification features such as the cardholder’s signature & photograph
- The Voter ID card can be utilised to avail certain government schemes
How to track Voter ID Application Status?
Voter ID applicants can now track the status of their application on the State Election Commission website. Each Indian state has their respective election commission website. Refer the image below taken as an example.
To track the status of voter ID:
- Visit the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) official website.
- Select ‘Know the Status of Your Application for Enrolment’.
- You can also apply on the National Voters’ Services Portal and select ‘Search your Name in the electoral roll’.
Step 1 – Fill the application number or EPIC number.
Step 2 – Enter the following details:
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- District constituency
Now select search and get information on the status of your voter ID.
What to do if you have not received Voter ID
If you haven’t received the Voter ID, not to worry. Follow the instructions below:
- Visit the nearest election office or the CEO official website
- Enter your reference number and details that you received while submitting form 6
- Select ‘Track Status’
- You will see the updated status of your application
If there are any discrepancies in receiving your voter ID, you can physically visit the state election office and rectify things.
NRI Voter ID
Non-resident Indians can still exercise their right to vote. NRIs can now apply online, or offline if they are in India and have their Voter IDs issued. NRIs have to be present in the country and their constituency to cast their vote and cannot do it remotely as of now.